The vibrant colors of fall look wonderful on trees, but can be an unsightly mess in the yard. For many homeowners, the best way to dispose of those leaves is to burn them on their property.
However, before you grab those matches, please take note of the following village regulations that pertain to burning yard waste. It could save you a citation, and prevent a fire at your home.
Here are the village guidelines:
- Permission shall be requested by calling (262) 532-8899. You are required to furnish your name, address, phone number and the description of the materials being burned.
- Burning is restricted Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays and subject to other restrictions.
- Burning of yard waste shall be done 50 feet away from any structure.
- Burning is allowed between 10 a.m. and 6:30 p.m.
- The burning pile can be no larger than 5 feet in diameter and 3 feet high.
- All fires must be attended by a competent person of legal age with a garden hose or water supply available.
- Fires may not contain rubbish, garbage, trash, material made of or coated with rubber, plastic, leather or petroleum-based products, or any flammable or combustible liquids.
Recreational Camp Fires
- Permission shall be requested by calling (262) 532-8899.
- Camp fires can be enjoyed from 12-11 p.m..
- Fires must be contained in a fire ring; 36 inches in diameter; constructed of stone or metal.
- Camp fire shall be 50 feet away from any structure.
- Dry wood only; shall not be ignited with flammable or combustible liquids.
- Fires must be attended by a competent person of legal age with a garden hose or water supply available.
Complaints and Violations
- Any report that the smoke or heat created by a fire is an annoyance, discomfort or safety hazard to the neighborhood or the traveling public will be investigated by the fire or police department.
- To report a violation of the Menomonee Falls burning ordinance, call (262) 532-1700. You may request to remain anonymous.
- Fires that are determined to be an annoyance or safety hazard will be ordered extinguished.
- Fires that are determined to be in violation of the Village of Menomonee Falls Open Burning Ordinance (Section 46-58) will be extinguished, and the person in violation may be issued a municipal citation.
More information about the village's burning ordinances can be found on the Menomonee Falls Fire Department website. The Public Works Department also provides information on yard waste disposal online.
Do you burn your leaves in fall? Do you find leaf burning a nuisance? Tell us in the comments.