The Menomonee Falls girls soccer team not only had a successful year on the field, they performed outstanding in the classroom.
Falls won the 2011-12 Team Academic Award from the National Soccer Coaches Association of America. Hopefully you’re seated when you read this, but the girls won with a cumulative grade point average of 3.82 on a four-point scale.
The girls also set a school record for wins this season with a record of 17-6-2, and won regionals in the WIAA state tournament for only the second time in school history. They were led by team captain Jenna Woodson whose compelling story of coming to America from China was captured by NOW’s Steven Tietz. The girls defeated Arrowhead High School 1-0 in overtime to take the region. However, they came up short against Grafton in sectionals 2-1 after a double-overtime match last week.
For a team to be considered for the NSCAA Team Academic Award, it must have a composite team GPA of at least 3.25 for all team members who appear on the official eligibility roster for the season, and the coach must be a current NSCAA member.
All players on the roster must be included in the calculation of the team GPA.
Here are the girls who used their heads on and off the field, and had an incredibly successful season:
- #01 Kayla Heagney, Sophomore, GK/F
- #1 Monica Carlson, Junior, GK
- #2 Jackie Noshay, Senior, D
- #3/#22 Olivia Dennis, Senior, D/F
- #4 Hailey Schild, Senior, M
- #5 Lauren Oleszak, Junior, M
- #6 Leanne Hawk, Junior, F/M
- #7 Molly Poeske, Senior, D
- #8 Monika Sancho, Junior, D/M
- #9 Anna Smalley, Sophomore, M
- #10 Emily Bollman, Senior, D
- #11 Nelly Botticelli, Senior, F/M
- #12 Rachel Clayton, Sophomore, F
- #13 Hannah Nelson, Freshman, D
- #14 Cassie Poeske, Senior, F/M
- #15 Megan Perinivoc, Junior, M
- #16 Jenna Woodson, Senior, M/F (Captain)
- #17 Sammi Lehnen, Freshman, D
- #18 Megan Paule, Freshman, D
- #19 Meg Emory, Junior, M
- #20 Jen Eberhardy, Sophomore, M
- #21 Jami Lessila, Freshman, M
- #22 Jessi Barczak, Freshman, M
- #23 Brianna Bachman, Sophomore, D